Road trip essentials are obviously things that you should always travel with. Sometimes they are not even things…I say that a keen curiosity is essential to a great road trip.
But, my idea of road trip necessities and your idea of road trip necessities could be very different. So, see what I deem essential and take from it what you’d like. What follows here, is what my essentials list looks like as it appears in my checklist for a road trip.
- Water and food
- Everything under “Safety”
- The right state of mind . . . be in the flow
- Do a walk-through of your home before you leave.
- A road atlas with compass or GPS
- Spare key . . . use hide-a-key or give it to a travel companion
- A little spare cash hidden away
- Remember to check the fluids of your road trip car frequently (including the fluid in your fuel tank)
Dictionary.com defines the noun ‘essential’ as follows:a basic, indispensable, or necessary element; chief point
So, if we strictly consider this definition, then there are only three true road trip essentials:
- A road
- A ride
- Fuel to make it go
I’m going to put forth, that our practical definition of the noun essential ought to be as follows: that which meets our need
If you’d like to try something fun, make your own list of essentials. Ask yourself some essential questions:
- Are there any really long stretches of road with no amenities?
- Is my ride set up comfortably for long periods of driving?
- What if I get stranded in a remote place?
- Do I have a way to get unlost?
- Do I mind being smelly or wearing smelly clothes?
- Have I considered the possible needs of all my travel companions?